Haslam rockets to the top of BSB practice at Donington
Leon Haslam was the fastest man in practice for the MCE British Superbike Championship at Donington Park today (Friday), setting a time of 1m29.323s in the second free practice session, as he aims to start his season in the perfect way this weekend.
Haslam’s best time was 0.132s clear of team mate Luke Mossey, with returning former champion Josh Brookes in third and just 0.168s off the overall pace.
Peter Hickman impressed with the fourth fastest time for Smiths BMW, ahead of James Ellison on the McAMS Yamaha and John Hopkins riding for Moto Rapido Ducati. 2014 World Superbike Champion Sylvain Guintoli was seventh fastest on the new Bennetts Suzuki, with Glenn Irwin eighth, Christian Iddon ninth and Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne completing the top-10.
Byrne suffered an early end to the second session with a mechanical issue, with his smoking bike under investigation by track marshals at one point and keeping him garage bound for the remainder of the session.
Byrne had earlier set the fastest time in the opening free practice session, with Haslam a narrow second.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, free practice two result:
1. Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 1m:29.323s
2. Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.132s
3. Josh Brookes (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) +0.168s
4. Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +0.420s
5. James Ellison (McAMS Yamaha) +0.521s
6. John Hopkins (Moto Rapido Ducati) +0.603s
7. Sylvain Guintoli (Bennetts Suzuki) +0.633s
8. Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.641s
9. Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.689s
10. Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.738s
The MCE British Superbikes are back on track tomorrow, with the third free practice session at 10.50am and the Datatag Extreme Qualifying at just after 4pm. Tickets are available on the gate for £15, with free entry for children aged 13 and under. For more information, click here.