Top 10 reasons to visit World Superbikes at Donington Park
Thinking about visiting Donington Park for the only UK round of the World Superbike Championship on 22-24 May? You should be – a great weekend’s action is certain!
Here are 10 key reasons why you shouldn’t miss out on this exciting, prestigious event!
1. The world’s best superbike racers going elbow to elbow at speeds of up to 200mph. The world’s leading superbike racers will do battle once more at Donington Park, with the fast and sweeping nature of the Leicestershire track allowing riders to go elbow to elbow on sections of the track as they reach speeds of almost 200 miles per hour! Superbike racing is one of the fastest forms of motorsport and provides spectacular and breathtaking racing!
2. The only UK round of one of the most prestigious motorsport series in the world. The World Superbike Championship only visits the UK once a year, so Donington is the only place where you can see some of the world’s best motorcycle racers in action in this country in 2015. The World Championship calendar is truly a global affair - the series has already raced in Australia, Thailand, Spain, The Netherlands and Italy so far this year. After Donington, they visit Portugal, Italy, USA, Malaysia, Spain, France and Qatar!
3. High chances of a British home success. British riders in the World Superbike Championship have dominated this year, winning every race so far in 2015. Jonathan Rea has eight wins to his name already and a healthy championship lead while Donington-backed rider Leon Haslam took a victory in Australia, and Chaz Davies in Spain. With this run of success, there’s every chance of further British victories at Donington Park!
4. The best and closest spectator viewing areas in the UK. Donington Park is renowned world-wide for its superb viewing areas which give fans the chance to get closer to the action than most circuits in the UK, with its famous panoramic sightlines. You can see plenty of action unfold right in front of you! With the giant TV screens around the venue, visitors don’t miss any of the drama! Donington staff are also on hand to answer any queries you may have and point people towards the best spectator viewing areas.
5. Superb value for money. Purchasing tickets in advance offers outstanding value for money, with savings of over 25% on the gate prices. Prices start at just £10 for Friday’s practice action with raceday (Sunday) tickets priced at £35 in advance – outstanding value for such a prestigious event with global appeal! Advance sales close at 5pm on Wednesday (20th May), so hurry!
6. Brimming with off track entertainment for all the family. It’s not just the on track action that thrills at World Superbikes! There is a packed schedule of off track entertainment included too, with a dedicated Fan Zone outside the paddock where star riders will make special appearances throughout the weekend! There’s also fun activities for the kids and many quality trade stands where fans can purchase all the latest team and rider merchandise. Evening entertainment is also available at the Grand Prix Collection for spectators with camping wristbands.
7. Three full days of on track action. The three days of action are fast and frantic! There’s over nine hours of on-track activity each day running from around 9am until well past 6pm. Friday is mainly a practice day with over two hours of World Superbike action alone, with exciting qualifying and the first support races on Saturday. The two World Superbike races take place on Sunday with racing all the way from 10.15am after several warm up sessions.
8. Full support package of races. Aside from World Superbikes, there is a full support card of races across the weekend, including action from the World Supersport Championship which is renowned as the final proving ground for riders before they make the Superbike step-up. Other series in action include three Superstock series, which offer very competitive racing on bikes not dissimilar to your road bikes, and further support from the stars of the future in the European Junior Cup and the UK Ducati TriOptions Cup.
9. ‘British Sports Day’ here on Thursday 21 May. See the heroes of World Superbikes get well outside their usual, if high speed, comfort zone on the Thursday (21st) before the main event starts, in a British Sports Day, just like school and it’s open to the public! It’ll be fun to watch the Brits go against their overseas rivals in traditional sports day events, and see who holds the early advantage by winning such sports as the Egg & Spoon race, as the ultra-competitive racers head into the weekend! Access is free to the public from 12-1pm. The Paddock will also be open to spectators from 2pm – 6pm with free entry.
10. Fantastic transport links – it’s easy to get to Donington! Donington Park is in the privileged position of being located close to major transport links, making it possibly the easiest circuit in the UK to visit. If you’re visiting from continental Europe or even further, flights operate regularly to East Midlands Airport, located just metres away from the circuit boundary. If you’re arriving by train, East Midlands Parkway is a short taxi ride away, and for those driving or riding to the event, the circuit is just 2 kms off the junctions of M1 at 24 (from North) and 23A (from South) and the intersection with the A42. Bike riders have special hard standing parking, with a dedicated circuit entrance. Camping is still available, so please check the website. However you’re coming – have a great weekend!
Tickets for the eni FIM Superbike World Championship at Donington Park are available in advance from £10 with free admission for children aged 13 and under. Advance tickets go off-sale at 5pm on Wednesday 20 May. Hospitality packages are also available by calling 01332 819506 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.